Time for a little game of This or.......That.
People are usually amazed by what I find at auction (Skinner Auction House being my preferred hunting ground) but tend to think, auctions, not for me, or not for the masses. They can certainly be luxe and very high brow, but they are far from exclusive, with deals to be had all the time.
My husband and I made a point of checking out Skinner's Discovery sales, ever on the look out for unique purchases to furnish our new home. Here are some our amazing buys, vs comparable items I was keeping tabs on at Anthropologie, Walmart, and French Market furniture.
Can you guess which is Skinner and which is retail above? The truth, and pricing, may surprise you.
1. Skinner Tapestry Upholstered Arm Chair, hammer price $425 VS.
2. Calla Gold Arms Chair, French Market Collection, retail $1,570
3. Skinner Venetian Etched Glass Mirror, hammer price $300 VS.
4. Larisa Venetian Mirror, Walmart, retail $969.99
5. Seaborne Flatware, Anthropolgie, retail $98/per setting, or $1,176/12 settings VS.
6. Skinner Siamese Brass Flatware, 142 piece, hammer price $175